Search The Cookery

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

So we're going away for the weekend and I've been packing and baking all week in preparation. We're talking about an 8 hour drive with two children under 18 months. One of whom is a human garbage disposal. I've been scouring the internet for easy, child friendly things to make but I haven't really had a lot of luck.

I needed quick, easy to grab and eat snacks. I didn't want super sticky fingers and since the little man was eating them, I wanted at least a modicum of healthiness. Sure my husband and I can eat chips and chocolate on the road, but feeding a toddler sugar and then strapping him into a carseat? Kill. Me. Now. Given those criteria, this is what I've decided to bring:

hard-boiled eggs
these delish muffins
dried mango and apricots
prepared pb&j sandwiches in manageable pieces (made with Mango-Almond Whole Wheat Bread)
bite-sized cereal (Organic Cinnamon Harvest - like Shredded Wheat, but better)
baking powder biscuits
Granola Chews
Crackers

I'll probably make a bean dip to go with the crackers, though there's a bar of cream cheese in the fridge that's calling my name.

As for those muffins...

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:

1 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. oats (quick or slow, doesn't matter)
1/2 c. sugar (you could probably reduce this to 1/3 if you wanted)
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 c. blueberries

Stir to combine. Add blueberries and coat with mixture. Set aside.

1 egg
1 c. milk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Stir. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

OPTIONAL: Topping. I used the extra bits at the bottom of little man's box of cereal for a crunchy topping. It's sweet and a bit of extra fiber. These muffins don't really need it though, so it's up to you.

Bake at 400F for 30 minutes for the extra large muffins (6 per tin), or 20 minutes for regular muffin tins.





Get up a bit early and make them for breakfast on a weekend, they're wicked good right out of the oven with a hot cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment