Search The Cookery

Friday, June 4, 2010

After an extended absence I give you: Amazingness in a muffin tin!

Apologies for the extended absence. I do, however, have some great news to make up for it. I have a new baby!! That's right, I upgraded to the 6 qt KitchenAid mixer!! I am ridiculously excited about it. It arrived on my birthday of all days, though it hadn't been planned that way, and was the best gift to myself ever. Totally worth giving up the shoes I had promised to myself for my 30th birthday.

Hello beautiful.



Speaking of hello beautiful, I also gave birth to a baby. Another reason for the absence. I got to use my mixer to make a dense, moist carrot cake a few days after the birth and it was heavenly. Totally worth it. I'll have that recipe in a few days.

Today though I'm starting with an adaptation of Banana-Coconut Bread for Pam from the Home Baking cookbook (the original is also delicious!). I like to call it Amazingness in a Muffin Tin.

Ingredients:

4 medium over-ripe bananas
2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 1/2 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1/8 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp. spiced rum
1/2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Puree the bananas. You should have about one and a half to two cups of puree. Set aside.

Sift the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and cocoa. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vinegar and the rum and beat briefly. Add the banana and flour mixture alternately about 1 cup at a time, beginning with bananas. Beat until smooth after every addition. Stir in the coconut and the chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter generously into muffin tins. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until set.

Makes 12-16 depending on how big you like your muffins.



You know the only thing that could really make this recipe better? Peanut butter. I'll have to figure out a way to incorporate peanut butter. Try it though, you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're back!

    Are those the muffins you brought me? They were in deed amazingness in a muffin pan.

    ReplyDelete