Search The Cookery

Monday, February 1, 2010

Chicken Conquistador

No, that's not what I made, it's my new title.

I made roast chicken again to resounding success! Maybe it's silly, but I'm really proud of myself for a) facing the headless chicken and b) coming out the other end with a meal, all without losing my lunch.

I made chicken with veg, stuffing and bruschetta this time. Here's how it broke down:

Chicken

Ingredients:

Herbes de Provence
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt

Directions:

Wash chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat dry, then rub with olive oil, sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and Herbes de Provence. I cut up some potatoes & added baby carrots to the pot as well.

Stuff & bake for about 3-3.5 hours at 375F. I basted the chicken quite regularly because I only really like white meat and dry meat makes me gag. Chicken is done when meat thermometer reads 180F or when juices run clear.

Pre-oven:



Post-oven:



Mushroom and Onion Stuffing

Ingredients:

1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
about a cup sliced Cremini mushrooms
a medium red onion
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
about 3 cups dry bread chunks
1/4 c. Water or chicken stock
Olive oil

Directions:

Put a few glugs (maybe a tablespoon or so?) of olive oil in your saucepan over medium-high heat and allow to warm. Once it's quite hot add the coriander and mustard seeds, stirring occasionally until they start to pop.



Add the onion and lower heat to medium until onions are tender, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms and poultry seasoning and continue cooking until the mushrooms are just brown, adding more oil as necessary. Remove from heat.



Add the bread chunks. (I used homemade rosemary and olive focaccia and white bread for the chunks. I just chopped it up then toasted for a hour in a 300F oven.) Add the water or stock, stirring well to combine.

Stuff into chicken, reserving extra to cook alongside the chicken for about 30-45 minutes.



Bruschetta

Ingredients:

4-5 very ripe small tomatoes, chopped roughly
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
fresh or dried basil to taste
Olive oil

Directions:

Chop the tomatoes, then mix well with garlic, red onion and basil. Coat generously with olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours (or as long as you can).





For the bread, I made focaccia earlier in the week, specifically for this recipe.



Cut the focaccia into 3/4 - 1 inch slices. Heat some olive oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan, about 2 tablespoons or so, over medium to high heat. Once the oil is hot, add your bread slices in a single layer. Fry until golden, then flip and fry the other side until golden, adding more oil if necessary.



Top warm bread with bruschetta mixture and chow down. You won't be able to stop yourself, I promise.



Also, I toasted a few slices just to see if frying the bread was really necessary, but it's TOTALLY necessary. Once you've fried your bread, you'll never go back to just toast. At least I won't!

The final results:





Everything was delicious, though the stuffing was a bit dry because I left it out too long while the chicken was roasting. Especially with the mushrooms, it tastes really good, but the texture has a lot to be desired.

P.S. Mr. Man thought it was hilarious that I thought this was a totally inappropriate place for the wishbone while he was carving. But since he was willing to cut it all up, I didn't make a fuss. I did, however, roll my eyes and make an icky face.

No comments:

Post a Comment